I had a survey out this summer to get a feel for what kids in this area would be interested in programming wise. I was surprised to see that a book club was one of the most popular answers. Following their lead, I’m going to try a book club every other month for the tween program.
This program was for October so I initially thought about doing something a bit spooky. I decided against it because without knowing who would come it’s hard to figure out a good spooky book. I decided to go to an old stand by and all around favorite:
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- The differences between the book, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, & Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.
- Dahl didn’t really enjoy Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Why do think that might be?
- Do you think the children deserved their golden tickets?
- What was your favorite room in the factory? Why?
- If you could add on and make your own room, what would it & what kind of candy would be made there?
- If you won, who would you take with you on the tour?
- Do you think Charlie would make a good owner? Do you think he’ll keep the factory locked up tight like Willy Wonka?
- If had the factory at your disposal, what kind of sweet would you create?
Verdict: I think it went well. We had a very small group but they enjoyed discussing the book. Their favorite part was comparing the book and movies and pointing out all the differences. I may try more books that were made into movies in the future!